This is my first full blown project: buying broken and stray parts and pieces and making them into a working drumset.
End cost: $500. Was it worth it? Absolutely.
Moral(s) of this episode:
– A lot of cheap parts will add up to a very big bill. Always.
– If you can’t get the right tools, expect to experience 10 times as much frustration.
– Drums are just wood, they can be drilled and sanded and sliced and diced.
– Extra holes just mean lessons learned.
Here’s what I started with:
– 20×14 no name bassdrum, missing rods and lugs
– 13×9 no name tom, missing rims and lugs
– 13×9 no name tom, no rims or lugs!
– 16×14 export tom, missing bottom rim and rods
More updates to come…